Monday, May 25, 2009

Denial... Pre-Lock Styles

As my hair continued to thin and break off, I began researching hair growth options and embarked on a journey to get it to grow back.

I discovered an incredible online forum (Long Hair Care Forum) which educated me on how to properly care for my hair, and though I had some success growing my hair LONG, it still continued to thin terribly and come out in clumps.
Step 1: Stop relaxing so frequently. Since my 13th birthday, I had been addicted to the "creamy crack" also known as relaxers. As you can see from my texture shot, a super strength relaxer every six weeks was probably not the ideal choice. Nevertheless, I continued this practice for years, and it took me a long time to get used to "stretching". However, after successfully completing a six month stretch, I recognized two things: My hair really wasn't as "Nappy" as I thought it was, and I was in love with my natural texture!

Step 2: Protect the ends. Following are some of the many "protective styles" I used during my journey to locks. This was during my first six month stretch. I had no idea I was doing more damage to my fragile hairline with the cornrows, but it was pretty and maintenance free. I kept this style for about 4 months (gasp!) Sidenote: This pic was taken during my baby brother's graduation from boot camp. I love that sailor!




The braids obviously ended up being a not-so-protective style as it caused even more breakage and thinning at the sides. Notice how you can see my neck through the hair. Truly devastating...

PIN UPS, AND ROLLER SETS, AND UP DO'S...OH MY!

From that point, I embarked on a journey to protect my ends through roller sets, buns, phony ponys, you name it. The only good thing that came out of the entire experience was that my love for my natural hair texture started to grow. By this time, I had started "texlaxing" which is basically a fancy word for using a lower strength relaxer and leaving it on for a shorter period of time. This practice gave the illusion of thickness, but whenever I came into contact with water or humidity... CHIA PET!























These are some of the "Up Do's" I wore in an effort to protect my ends. Sometimes I would wear a plastic cap under the "phony ponies" and buns to keep my hair moisturized. I even used GEL to make those natural short pieces behave themselves! Notice the progressive damage to my hairline over time.


When I got tired of pinning up, I would roller set or wear a "twist out". Though this was a healthier alternative, the slightest bit of moisture (rain or humidity) would cause my hair to "go back" to its texlaxed state.



Finally, when I just couldn't take it anymore, there was always the ever-so-unhealthy Dominican Blowout. Though the results were pretty, my hair was ridiculously thin and the heat from the blow dryer was unbearable at times. During this entire time, I struggled with my decision to go natural. However, a medical diagnosis and an experience with Senator Barack Obama helped me make the decision to go natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment