Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lessons Learned

...so I had made it six months and it was time for an evaluation... I was spending $200 a month on retightenings because my consultant was charging $25/hour and taking a minimum of 7 hours during each 4-week session.

I didn't know any better at the time, and I genuinely liked her which is why I kept going back. I started to get frustrated. Time was something I never had much of, and I certainly didn't like devoting my Saturdays to an 8 hour hair styling. I might as well have stayed relaxed and kept visiting the salon. In addition, my involuntary cut left a lot to be desired.

I approached this situation as I had so many others... I researched. I asked quesitons on forums and blogs and the consensus was... 8 hours was too long for a 4 week retightening and $200 a month was entirely too expensive. Thus, I made the best decision in my journey outside of deciding to lock... I changed consultants.

Honestly, I can not be happier. Not only are my retightenings considerably shorter, but my new consultant is much nore knowledgeable and current with sisterlock trends. She has been honest with me, and I am certain that my locs will flourish under her supervision.

Her first step...even out the whack job and turn it into a stylish cut. This one has been a hard transition for me, as I don't like short hair, but I know this is simply another part of my journey and it's only hair! It does grow back!

So my most valuable lessons so far have been...

Question anyhting that you feel is out of the ordinary. Just because someone is a registered consultant does not mean that they are committed to quality and excellence

Get second and third opinions before choosing a consultant. This is a permanent hairstyle. You want to be sure you can fully trust your consultant

BEWARE of any consultant that does not have photos of their work (this should have been a clue for me)

Don't be afraid to speak up. This is YOUR HAIR and you are paying your consultant for a job well done. If for any reason you are dissatisfied, find another consultant. I am SO glad I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment