Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Prodigal Daughter Returns!

WOW! It has been quite a while since I posted! I am such a slacker! Anyway, as my journey continues, I am learning valuable lessons of self acceptance and self confidence. "Going natural" has given me a newfound appreciation for my natural beauty, and it has ventured into my professional and personal life.

After getting laid off on April 1, 2009, I went through a major metamorphosis. I first learned how to stop identifying with what I do and appreciating who I am. A major turning point in my life came the day I interviewed for my current job which I started on June 1, 2009.

I prepared for the interview as always and donned my wig cap. This had become a ritual for going to work since I locked in December of 2008. I had started wearing my locks out on weekends, but never at work. In the past, I had been afraid to. I made a decision then to break the cycle. I took off the wig and opted to pin up my locks in the back and wear it out in the front (thin edges and all). I didn't know what would happen, but I was determined to go into this interview as the "real" me, and I was going to be judged based on my credentials and qualities rather than my hair... I got the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment