Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Decision

As December approached, I had developed a medication regimen that was helping ease the symptoms of my condition, but I was determined to come off the meds-especially the steroids. I was also determined to do something about my hairline once and for all. Yes, Lupus had affected my hairline, but I also knew that years of abuse (relaxing, weaving, corn rowing, braiding) had taken its toll on my hairline and had done permanent damage. It had been over a year since I had engaged in any of these detrimental practices, and the fact of the matter was my hair was NOT growing back and it wasn't going to. I was sick of headbands and was constantly embarassed that my hairline started at my ears. Thus, I decided to embark on a surgical intervention. I opted for a hair transplant at Bosley.



These are photos of my pre-surgery consultation. As you can see, parts of my hairline were completely bald and were not coming back without a miracle. Trust me... the biggest challenge was trying to get the caucasian doctors and staff members to "understand" my hair. Of course, they all told me that the SL's were causing my hair loss which I knew wasn't true. They also asked me to take them out prior to procedure day which I thought was hilarious. Thankfully, they had worked on a patient with traditional locs, but I had to educate them on the difference between Sisterlocks and traditionals (i.e. being smaller and lighter which did not contribute to damage), and why they weren't as damaging as braids (no heavy extensions attached to my natural hair). After MANY hours of education on both my part and the staff's part, we agreed that this was the best option and I scheduled an appointment. I am currently waiting on the "before" pictures from the procedure day, but this would be a life changing experience for me.

1 comment:

  1. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it! hair transplant Malaysia

    ReplyDelete