Sunday, February 7, 2010

Surgery Day

I arrived at the facility at 7:00 in the morning and did not leave until 6:00 that evening. So I had 11 hours (during which I was conscious) to contemplate if I was doing the right thing.

The procedure starts with the staff numbing the scalp area with a local anesthetic (that was the worst part) and giving you oral antibiotics and a Valium to calm your nerves. I was asleep within 30 minutes. The doctor then selected a donor site and cleared it for removal. They had to strap me down for this part. I nearly cried when I saw my lovely locks fall to the floor as she SHAVED them off!!! The doctor then took a scalpel and cut a graft from the donor site. Did I mention I was conscious during the entire procedure? I didn't know I was bleeding until I felt it running down my neck. Anywho... here are some pics of the donor site (taken after the entire procedure).





After the graft was taken, I played the waiting (and sleeping) game. I watched movies and had lunch while the technicians extracted single hairs from the donor tissue and prepared them for implantation into my hairline. The doctor then poked 2100 individual holes in my hairline with a tool and placed the extracted hairs into these holes one by one. It was by far the most grueling process I had ever endured (thank goodness for anesthesia!!).


11 hours later, I arrived at the results above. I was tired and extremely numb, but excited at the same time. Now all I had to do was wait. The next few weeks I would endure scabbing and healing. Then I would return to my pre-surgery hairline as the implanted hairs would fall out and slowly be replaced with newly growing hair. It would take patience though. Normally, the results aren't noticeable for at least 6 months. So, I was leaving 2009 as a larvae and would be maturing and growing within a cocoon for about 6 months. I decided to take the time of physical healing to explore myself and nurture the person within. 2010 would be my year for inner growth and outward manifestation. I was ready to become the new me!!!

2 comments:

  1. I admire you courage! You are beautiful by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible thing to do. Wow, i admire your courage!!

    ReplyDelete