Monday, May 31, 2010

Getting Back to ME

...so my 2010 had a very rocky start. One of the best relationships I had ever had ended unexpectedly and put me into a major tailspin. Though I worked diligently to keep it together, one of the most important and valuable elements of my life--physical fitness--fell by the wayside.


I went from working out at least 5 days a week to lying in bed every opportunity I got. Whereas junkfood was a treat for my "cheat day", I started eating fast food or soul food at least twice a day...often more. Thankfully, my metabolism was on my side and I only gained about 8 pounds during my siesta, but my body suffered for it--greatly.

I have always searched for holistic treatments for my Lupus, and most of the research cautions against processed foods, extra sugars and fats. Well, that counted out McDonald's, Chick-Fil-A and Bojangle's for sure! For some reason, however, I found comfort in the salt, fat and sugar. I knew I had to make a change becuase I was practicing behaviors that I had advised people I had worked with against. I now fully understood the aspects of emotional eating and the negative ramifications thereof. It was time to get back on track...

Well, my six months are officially OVER today!!! I took six months to get the man out of my system, and I am now going to get back to ME!


STEP ONE: GET YOUR MIND RIGHT!!
How can I possibly have natural hair and not be into yoga? I started last summer, and had gotten quite flexible. I can remember how it affected my life. Even though my life was still stressful, I responded to the stress much better when I was actively practicing yoga. There is something to be said about finding a quiet place and shutting off the world even for a few minutes. I have returned to making meditation a daily MUST-DO. 10 - 15 minutes can make such a major difference.





STEP TWO: NOURISH FROM THE INSIDE OUT

Having seen the negative consequences of not maintaining colon health daily in my line of work (I get to watch colonoscopies and upper endoscopies every day!), I am a firm believer in nourishing yourself from the inside out. I never start a new diet or exercise regimen without doing an in depth internal cleanse. I have used Colonix for years. This regimen requires a commitment, as it typically lasts at least 30 days. It is often recommended for 60 - 90 days for first timers. It can be a little bit on the pricey side as well, but I feel like it's well worth the investment. It is basically a regimen of pills and a fiber supplement in the morning followed by an herbal tea at bedtime. I like this program because it doesn't shackle you to a bathroom or give you any "uh-oh" moments. Rather, it simply puts you on a regular (no pun intended) schedule. I typically found that I was going twice a day-usually around the same time of day. It also requires at least 64 ounces of WATER a day which is a very important part of any health regimen, and it is by far the most thorough cleansing out there. The website even shows pictures of what comes out of people's bodies! Yeah.... just a little too gross for me. It's amazing what happens when you actually start with a clean slate. For more information on Colonix, visit http://www.drnatura.com/.


STEP THREE: VITAMINS, VITAMINS, VITAMINS!


Once the colon is clean, the body is ready to absorb additional nutrients. With the stress and lack of nutrition of everyday life, I am a big advocate of supplementing a healthy diet with supplements. I was introduced to the Liquid Health line of products at a local health food store, and I love them. Not being a fan of swallowing a lot of pills, I find that these supplements are easier to take, and I think they have better absorption because they are already in liquid form. All of the Liquid Health products are totally organic and derive their nutrients from whole foods which are better for the body, and even better for a body with Lupus.
I use the multi vitamin, immune boost, joint formula, and hair loss formula. Since Lupus effects the immune system, joints and hair I thought Why not?
WORD OF CAUTION: They don't taste or smell the best, so what I typically do is mix all four in a tumbler (2 ounces each), pinch my nose and take it to the head. It is a good idea to have some water handy to chase it because the aftertaste will definitely stick with you. This is NOT for the faint of heart, but the benefits definitely outweigh the taste in my opinion.
STEP FOUR: GET MOVING
Well, DUH!!! In additon to yoga, I have started regular cardio and weight training again. I am now actually looking for a DVD exercise program to take with me when I travel. My biggest challenge has always been finding a gym in some of the small towns my job takes me to. I am considering Zumba or Brazil Butt Lift, but haven't decided yet. I will post my decision and a review once I decide. In the meantime, I am starting off with 20 minutes of cardio 4 days a week and light weight training for 4 days a week just to get my body acclimated to moving again on a regular basis.
STEP FIVE: EAT RIGHT
Believe it or not, this is my FAVORITE part of the entire regimen because I love to cook! There is something exciting about finding healthy alternatives to foods most people already like! In fact, I don't even like the word diet, because it indicates depriving oneself. That should NEVER be the case. I know from experience that it's really about a lifestyle change, and if you can stick with healthier food choices for at least 30 days, you won't even like the junk food anymore. There was a time that I couldn't even STAND the smell of grease, and I am looking forward to getting back there.
So I guess the tone of my blog will change a little. Not only will I be chronicling my hair journey, but my journey of self re-discovery. I am actually excited. Let's continue to grow together!

No comments:

Post a Comment