Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Trials and Tribulations of Styling

As I stated earlier, my locs are definitely in their teenage stage, and they are doing what THEY want to do which makes styling a pain. My usual braid out used to last at least two weeks (especially if I used setting lotion), but now it looks bad after a few days. One of the reasons I decided to lock was because I typically don't like to fuss with my hair. Unfortunately, lately I find that I have to re-braid my hair in order to get it to look decent. Sometimes I will pin it up and leave it for a week, but sometimes I don't even feel like doing that.

Lately, the only way I can seem to cover up the overall chaos of my rebellious locks is to mask it with a braid out. I am sure there are other ways to get the "wavy" look, but here's what I do:
I normally like to start with freshly washed hair. Even though it's been nearly 18 months, I had to learn the hard way NOT to wash without braiding and banding. So, I will braid and band, wash once with the Sisterlocks Starter Shampoo then follow that with the Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo. I am still trying to control dandruff, so I will usually lather my hair really well then let it sit on my scalp while I finish my shower. I will then rinse and towel blot my hair (I use black towels in case lint wants to hang around).





I then spritz my hair with a mixture of Distilled Water and LottaBody Setting Lotion. I use the professional formula since it tends to hold better. I dilute it because it tends to leave a sticky residue on the locks and cause the hair to smell after a few days. This could be due to my workout schedule. My hair sweats terribly.



I use a travel hairspray bottle instead of the hairdresser squirt bottle. The travel hairspray bottle provides more even coverage of the hair and doesn't leave the hair soaking wet which can cause drying issues:





To clarify, I don't spritz the hair all at one time. Rather as I section it off, I spray each individual section. I then braid it in individual braids and tuck the ends under and secure them with an ouchless ponytail holder.



I have tried several options for securing the ends of my braid out, and this one tends to work best for me. I sleep pretty wildly, so perm rods were uncomfortable (though they provided the most uniform curl), and the flexi rods were bulky, and I would actually wake up and had lost some. I have yet to try soft spikes, but I have read other blogs and lots of sisters swear by them. I find that the ponytail holders are convenient and easily portable in case I have to re-style while I am traveling, and they are cheap.

Here is what my hair looks like once I have completed setting it:


Then comes the fun part! As my hair has started to lock and gotten thicker, I find that I have to sit under the dryer for a couple of hours before going to bed. Otherwise my hair will still be wet in the morning when I take it down. I have also noticed that drying it cuts back on the frizzies, so I tend to set my hair on Sunday nights, so I will be cute for the work week. My dryer of choice: The Gold N' Hot Soft Bonnet Dryer. They make a bonnet that attaches to a blow dryer, but I never had much luck with that one. It never quite fits on the dryer nozzlew properly, and it shorts out the blow dryer. The Bonnet Dryer is very portable, easy to set up, and it doesn't totally fry you. You look like something off a Sci-Fy thriller for a couple of hours, but it does the trick. I have even taken this dryer on trips with me. If you pad it nicely, and have a decent sized bag, you can usually get it through airport security without ruffling too many feathers.


After my mini-drying session, I put on a satin bonnet and turn in for the night. The next morning, I will carefully take down the braided sections and spritz them with one of my various "maintenance sprays" which usually consists of rose water mixed with some EO's (lavender, rosemary, tea tree, peppermint, etc....). I then massage my scalp in an effort to cover up the parts from the wet set. I then run my fingers through my hair to make the set as uniform as possible and "decorate" it as desired. Of course, with all of my hairline issues, I typically top off the style with one of my MANY satin headbands. I tend not to like the style as much the first couple of days, as the curls are really tight, but they relax over time and look better. At night, I put my hair into two loose ponytails and cover with a satin bonnet, and the next morning I finger comb and head out the door. When my hair wants to cooperate, this style can last from 7 - 10 days. Lately it hasn't, but that's just because my hair is being difficult.

Anywho... here is a pic of the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment