Saturday, March 27, 2010

Call Me Cover Girl!!!

...not as in the makeup, but as in covering my huge hair flaw! My signature "do" is usually a braid out. Depending on how long I want my hair to last, I will either cornrow it back and band the ends overnight or simply braid it in about 12-14 random braids and twist them into nubian knots overnight. Both give me a wavy look, but the cornrowing option gives a more relaxed look and only lasts a couple of days before going flat. The random braid method can last up to 10 days, but the first few days the curls are really tight (not feeling the Shirley Temple look).

For the most part, the braid out does a good job of masking my usual issues like bunching and multiple textures (curses to the creamy crack!!!!!!!), but now that I have a section of unlocked hair, there is an odd space left in the back of my head that I can't mask.

So after playing around with some different options, I came up with a "new do" that covers up the gash. I call it my corporate look!


Sorry about the flash and the hole in my shirt (that's what I get for rushing!), but as you can see, I simply pulled the back of my hair up into a high ponytail and made some nubian knots with the ends and secured them with ouchless ponytail holders. I did a braid out in the front (about 6 small cornrows) and voila! New do!
This look lasts about a week. I tie a folded scarf around the back of my head and knot it in the front (Think Morris Day from Purple Rain) and wear a satin slumber cap over that to keep the braid out in the front neat. I just had to be careful where I placed the knot because I ended up with a huge round bruise on my forehead a couple of days!
Anywho.... problem solved. Gash was covered, I looked cute and once again confused my white coworkers ("Your hair looks different. Did you cut it?")!!! They are always so.... enough said.
Epiphany: I need to add some styling pics to my blog. Hmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment